Legal Administrative Assistant:
Sue Nichols | 612.373.8507
David Eide has more than 40 years of experience in the areas of real estate and corporate law. He focuses his practice on the structuring, financing, development and operation of multi-family housing and commercial developments, primarily under the Minnesota Common Interest Ownership Act and similar statutes in other states. In connection with that practice, he has developed significant expertise involving registrations and exemptions under the federal Interstate Land Sales Act and the Minnesota Subdivided Land Sales Act. David is part of Felhaber's real estate practice group that regularly deals with a broad range of transactional, planning, financing, title and operational issues involving residential and commercial real estate properties.
- Real Estate
- Commercial Real Estate Law
- Residential Real Estate Law
- Condominium Law
- Real Estate Development Law
- Multi-Family Housing Financing, Development and Operation
- Interstate Land Sales Act Registrations and Exemptions
- Minnesota Subdivided Land Sales Act Registrations and Exemptions
- Business Organizations and Transactional
- Partnership and Limited Liability Company Formations
- Real Estate Development
- Community Association Operations
Representative Practice Activities
David's work in real estate development has involved a variety of scenarios, including basic residential and commercial developments, complex mixed-use residential/commercial developments, conversions of existing buildings, master planned communities, golf course/residential developments, fractional interest developments, condominium hotels, and multi-component recreational developments. He is a frequent speaker for Minnesota Continuing Legal Education and real estate industry groups, and has authored numerous articles on common interest community law and related development matters. He was a principal drafter of the Minnesota Common Interest Ownership Act and the Minnesota Uniform Condominium Act.
David’s expertise also extends to the operational side of community associations. In 1977, he was a founding trustee of the Minnesota Chapter of the Community Associations Institute, the primary national trade organization for homeowners associations. The Felhaber real estate practice group currently represents over 200 homeowners associations in the State of Minnesota, and provides legal consultation to homeowners associations on a regular basis with regard to a variety of issues. David has been a frequent speaker at community association conferences and is a widely recognized expert in community association law. David has a unique and practical understanding of the operation of homeowners associations, and how they are shaped by the legal documents that govern them.
David has unique and significant experience with the Minnesota Common Interest Ownership Act (“MCIOA”), that governs the creation, development and operation of condominium, townhouse and cooperative communities, and the master associations that sometimes administer them. He chaired the Minnesota Real Property Council’s Committee on MCIOA from 1989 to 2010. He was instrumental in adapting the national version of MCIOA, the Uniform Common Interest Ownership Act, to Minnesota, and was a principal participant in the introduction of MCIOA in the Minnesota legislature. MCIOA became law on June 1, 1994, and has since been amended several times. David was a principal drafter of each of the amendments, and assisted in guiding the amendments through the Minnesota legislature. By reason of this experience, David has worked on a broad range of complex real estate projects, and has made numerous presentations on the structuring and development of common interest communities for Minnesota Continuing Legal Education, real estate industry groups and government agencies.
- J.D., University of Minnesota Law School
- B.A., University of Minnesota
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota
- U.S. Court of Military Appeals
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
Professional Certifications, Awards and Designations
- Fellow of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America
- Selected as a Leader in his Field by the Chambers USA Guide
- Named a Super Lawyer® by Minnesota Law & Politics multiple years
- Rated "AV" (highest rating) by Martindale Hubbell Legal Directory
- Recipient of Distinguished Service Award from the Real Property Law Section of the Minnesota State Bar Association
- Recipient of Lifetime Achievement Award from the Minnesota Chapter of the Community Associations Institute
Professional Activities and Memberships
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
- Hennepin County Bar Association - Real Property Section, Member
- Community Associations Institute (two-time officer and director, and founding trustee, Minnesota Chapter)
- Minnesota Multi-Housing Association (two-time officer and director)
- Chair of Real Property Section Committee on Minnesota Common Interest Ownership Act, Real Property Council, 1989 to 2010.
Representative Speaking Engagements and Legal Publications
David has made over 30 presentations over the past ten years to a variety of state and local bar association groups, professional groups and homeowner groups, with a focus on residential and commercial development and the operation of common interest communities.