Legal Administrative Assistant:
Sue Nichols | (612) 373-8507
J. Patrick Brinkman serves clients in the areas of business organization and planning, commercial transactions and financing, business and commercial lending, commercial real estate, real estate development, complex master planned communities, common interest communities, land use law, municipal and other governmental agency approvals, Section 1031 tax deferred exchanges, and mergers and acquisitions. He represents numerous real estate developers, closely held business entities and banks. Mr. Brinkman is certified by the Minnesota State Bar Association as a Real Property Specialist and is admitted to practice law in Minnesota and Wisconsin, U.S. District Court, United States Tax Court, and United States Court of Appeals. Mr. Brinkman is also a certified public accountant (inactive) and currently the head of Felhaber's Real Estate Section.
- Business Organizations and Transactional
- Commercial Transactions
- Commercial Lending
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Real Estate
- Commercial Real Estate
- Real Estate Development Law
- Complex Master Planned Communities
- Common Interest Communities
- Land Use Law
- Municipal and other Governmental Agency Approvals
- Section 1031 Tax Deferred Exchanges (including reverse and construction exchanges)
- Loan Workout and Forbearance
- Mortgage and Mechanic Lien Foreclosures
Representative Practice Activities
- Represented the developer of a 560-acre master planned residential community with over 2,100 planned housing units.
- Represented the developer in the negotiation and acquisition of a downtown Minneapolis block for development of a 24-story condominium tower and retail complex with an integrated parking ramp.
- Represented the developer in an $18,500,000 development loan transaction.
- Represented the developer in its conversion of an existing 400 unit townhome community.
- Represented the seller of an industrial power controls manufacturing business.
- Represented the developer of a 365-acre master planned residential community with 920 housing units.
- Represented the developer in negotiating a Development Agreement and $4,266,000 tax increment financing for the development project.
- Represented lenders in recent loan transactions aggregating over $100,000,000.
- Represented a service business client in its acquisition of a subsidiary business located in Arizona and New Mexico.
- Represented management employees in the acquisition of their employer's company.
- Served as lender’s counsel in workout or foreclosure actions for more than 180 development or construction loans.
- J.D., William Mitchell College of Law, 1975
- B.A., College of St. Thomas, 1968
- Minnesota, 1975
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota, 1975
- U.S. Tax Court, 1976
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1978
- Wisconsin, 1992
Professional Certifications, Awards and Designations
- Real Property Specialist, Certified by the Minnesota State Bar Association
- C.P.A., 1971 (inactive)
- Rated "AV" (highest rating) by Martindale Hubbell Legal Directory
- Named a Super Lawyer®, by Minnesota Law & Politics, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009 and 2010
Professional Activities and Memberships
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Minnesota Foreclosure Law Update, January 12-13, 2010
- Residential Real Estate Summit: Legal Update – Purchases and Sales in a Challenging Market, January 16, 2008
- Commercial Leasing Seminar: Tenant Improvements: "You Expect What?" January 23, 2003
- Builder Development: "Who Is The Master Of Your Domain? Master Community, Association, CIC-Related Issues and More," October 22, 2003
- Courage Center Ski and Snowboard – Advisory Board