Legal Administrative Assistant:
Denise Hanson | (612) 373-8566
Brian focuses his practice exclusively on representing businesses. Brian represents clients involving matters that stem from employment and labor laws and he defends claims filed against employers with state and federal administrative agencies and in the Minnesota state and federal courts.
Brian is an experienced, hands-on litigator. In addition to a successful motion practice, Brian has litigated multiple cases to verdict. He defends companies in cases involving a single plaintiff and also complex collective and class action cases involving hundreds of plaintiffs.
Brian combines his legal training with eight years of management experience in the health care industry. Prior to joining the Felhaber firm in Minneapolis, Brian worked for a local health care corporation that operated healthcare facilities in the Twin City Metropolitan area. Brian served in a variety of management positions. In his legal practice, Brian now utilizes this business experience when negotiating contracts for his clients and guiding clients through complicated legal issues.
Brian rounds out his litigation practice by providing employment law and business law advice and counsel to his clients on employment matters and general business issues ranging from employee performance issues, to legal compliance, to overall business strategy. Brian works with his clients in responding to everyday problems and, most importantly, helps develop legal and practical solutions to avoid such problems.
- Litigation – Employment Law Focus
- Labor and Employment Law Counseling
- Exclusive to Management-Side Representation
- Contract Negotiation and Business Advice and Counsel
- Walker v. Park Nicollet Health Services, Court File No. 27-CV-11-2174 (2012) (Complete defense verdict following trial of race discrimination and retaliation claims)
- Kange v. Park Nicollet Health Services, OSAHO Case No.: 11B0026 (2012) (Summary judgment for employer on discrimination claims)
- Gangnon v. Methodist Hospital, 771 F.Supp.2d 1049 (D. Minn. 2011) (Summary judgment in favor of employer on employee’s discrimination claims)
- Cruz v. Lawson Software, 2010 WL 890038; 764 F.Supp.2d 1050 (2010) (Employee’s class certification motion denied; Summary judgment entered in favor of employer on wage and hour claims)
- Karnie-Tauh v. Frazier, 757 N.W.2d 714 (Minn. App. 2008)
- Greeley v. Fairview Health Services, 479 F.3d 612 (8th Cir. 2007)
- J.D., William Mitchell College of Law, magna cum laude, 2003
- B.S., University of Wisconsin at Eau Claire, magna cum laude, 1994
- Minnesota State Bar
- Minnesota Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court of Minnesota
- U.S. Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals
Professional Certifications, Awards and Designations
- Nominated by Minnesota Super Lawyers® as a Rising Star, Minnesota Law & Politics, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
Professional Activities, Memberships and Accomplishments
- Hennepin County Bar Association – Labor and Employment Section, Member
Legal Publications/Speaking Engagements
- Author, "Karma, Dogma, Dilemma; Religious Accommodation at Work," Minnesota Bench & Bar Magazine (Vol. 66, No. 6, July 2009)
- Regular Lecturer on Employment Law and Litigation topics
- Presenter at Minnesota state-wide conventions for SHRM (2008-2009); Care Providers of MN (2009-2011); Aging Services of Minnesota (2010)
- President, Chanhassen Little League (2011-present)